A decade I’ve cherished

July 7, 2007

Retirement. Moving. Is it just that I’m older now, and disabled, or are things really more complicated than they used to be? Fifteen years ago, when I lived in Northfield, Minn., an editor in Los Angeles offered me a job as an editorial writer, an offer I accepted on the spot. Within two weeks, I’d given up my apartment in Minneapolis, my graduate program at the University of Minnesota, my job at the Minnesota Daily, my half of our house in Northfield, my marriage and the cat, and was on my way to California.

“Change is always difficult,” people intone sententiously. No, it wasn’t; it felt wonderful.

(This column ran in the Rocky Mountain News July 7. Read more..)

About linsee

Linda Seebach retired in 2007 from the Rocky Mountain News in Denver, where she was an editorial writer and columnist.
This entry was posted in Personal history. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to A decade I’ve cherished

1. admin says:

Hi Linda,
    I am very saddened to learn that you will be leaving the Rocky. You are the best. Level headed and rational. We need you to stay. Your successor will have big shoes to fill. Hopefully he/she will be your equal. I have enjoyed our occassional interactions. I hope we can remain in communication.
    Thank you for everything.
    Dennis Polhill

Comment by Dennis Polhill — July 8, 2007 @ 7:02 pm

2. admin says:

I put off inquiring about your absence for several Sat. issues. I feared that you had been “separated” as had Dusty and several others whom I liked to read. Now it sounds as though it is what you wanted.
    Thank you for explaining “tracking” in school placement. I even started a blog on the subject at YourHub, but wrote only the first item. The romantic element is to appear next, but I’ve let my work interfere for this 83 year-old. My My inquiries haven’t stopped and I must pursue the work with my blog.
    I don’t understand what you Minnesota folks love about the area; I’ll just accept it.
    Surely you’ll keep me up-to-date on the corruptions of statistical reports and we’ll confound the perpetrators together. Too, you will write about the good reports, please.

Comment by George MacDonald — July 9, 2007

3. admin says:

Hi Linda.

Hope the move goes well, and you have an enjoyable retirement.

And glad to hear you’ll finally be able to write a blog of your own. Looking forward to reading you!

Comment by jed — July 10, 2007

4. admin says:

It’s about time we got a Linda Seebach blog. I’ve grown sick and tired of seeing you at Rocky Mountain Blogger Bashes, sucking up to all the cool kids and never giving us a chance to suck up to you back.

Besides your finally being able to date Jesse Ventura, another advantage of moving up to the land of jello salad is that Don Nolan, of Acme Tattoo, in St. Paul, is arguably the best tattoo artist in the world. Don’s pretty reclusive, and in his sixties, but you should run–yeah, okay, wheel yourself–to Acme to get one while he’s still working.

And then blog about it.